Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How we ended our summer

The plan was to do some really fun things with our last few days, like join my friends at the beach today, and to collect all the school supplies together to make sure we have everything.

Instead, we spent two days in the hospital with Parker.


It started this weekend when his seasonal allergies were really bothering him and because we had an appointment with the allergist, we couldn't give him anything to get it under control. It then triggered the upper respiratory stuff that we love so much and we were back on the nebulizar by Sunday evening. After lots of breathing treatments and a really rough night, we headed to the doctor to see if it was something more. Once she listened to his lungs and after an additional treatment in her office, she said that was the tightest he had ever sounded. She sent us to the ER.

Seven hours in the ER, 3 more breathing treatments, 2 continuous hour long treatments, and a chest x-ray later...he was admitted and put in the pediatric ICU. They continued his treatments and added some more medication. He and Jamie had a sleepover in the hospital that he was not very excited about. He just kept saying, "I wanna go home". It broke my heart every time.

The nurses and staff all loved him and thought he was so cute. He was very good about taking his medicine and putting up with the whole ordeal. When all was said and done he was officially diagnosed with asthma. One more piece to his complicated little puzzle. I'm just glad he is home and we know what we are dealing with and have a plan in place.

Thank you Chelsea for everything you did for the kids and the house, (you don't really need to go back to school, right?) and thank you to the friends and family that were praying for us.

So not quite like I envisioned summer ending, but I certainly won't forget it anytime soon.

9 comments:

lmhiserman said...

You should have called me. I would have been there in a minute to help in some way. Even if it was just sneaking in some snacks for Par Par. I'm glad he's getting better and back home. Tell Jacob to have a great first day of school tomorrow.

Erickson Family said...

so sorry Sara. Gunnar has asthma too and we have had many trips to the Dr.and a hospital stay too. It is always so scary when they are not breathing good. That on top of all his allergies...poor little guy :( Hope he gets feeling better soon!!

Angie said...

So glad he at home, and if you need something...ask Chelsea (just kidding) please let me know if I can help with anything.

Jen said...

Oh that picture made me cry a little! Nothing like a big brother and Thomas to make a bad day bearable. I'm so sorry Sara, poor Parker sure deals with more then his fair share! Let me know if I can help in any way. We'll keep your family in our prayers.

Larsen's said...

Oh, Sarah, I feel bad for Parker and your family. What a terrible thing to go through.:( Hope he is better soon.

Jade said...

Ok, now I feel stupid. you were here last night and I had no idea. Where have I been?

Call me anytime if you need a sitter quickly for the kids. Anytime I can help I will.

R Fitz said...

That is so scary! Hope your little guy starts to feel better.

Ronna said...

OH man!!!!
Poor little Parker and poor Sara!!! That stinks! I was wondering why I haven't heard from you. We started school last week so I am already going crazy. I would have at least ordered pizza or something had I known. What a lowsy friend I am. But, I am glad to see they figured out another piece of the Parker Puzzle. Love that kid and love you guys. We need to see you soon!!!

Maggs said...

Sara I'm SOO sorry, I didn't know about Parker until I just read this. I am glad he is doing a bit better now. Mykah was his same age when she had her first Hospital visit for Asthma...sure sucks! I hope he doesn't have to battle it forever, luckily Mykah has somewhat outgrown asthma. Let's talk soon!