Sunday, January 20, 2008

Wanna know how my weekend was?



By the fact that you are still reading, I'm going to say, yes you do. So, on Thursday afternoon I was driving up to CPMC to visit my friend Lisa and her darling new baby when my check engine light came on. I thought, "maybe it doesn't really mean it" and kept going. When we left the hospital, the light was still on and starting to not feel right. I was meeting my friend Josie at Seton to pick up her little boy while she had a minor procedure. As I was getting off the freeway, my car started shaking. Not cool. When I came to a stoplight, it stalled. I got it going again and we made it to Seton, got Charlie and were headed straight to the dealership to drop the car off. Whenever I was at a light, or had to slow down, it started to sputter again. By now I was totally annoyed because about 2 weeks ago I had taken my car in for the big 30,000 mile overhaul and now here I was praying to make it 3 more miles.
I got as far as Juniperro Serra and Westbourough in SSF and it totally died. There was no bringing it back this time. Fortunately I had my long time babysitter and friend, Chelsea, with me so I wasn't alone with 3 kids. I called my friend Christa that I know from the SSF ward and lived just a few blocks away. She saved me! She came and picked up the 3 kids and Chels, took them back to her house, and let them hang out there while I waited for the tow truck and dealt with the car.
I was towed to the dealership and after I gave them all the info, the guy asks "are you going to need a ride somewhere?" to which I responded, "I have kids I need to go pick up, I need a car." They were all out of loaners so he called Enterprise. A guy came and picked me up took me to the Enterprise place and got me situated with a piecer that I drove until Friday afternoon. That's when the dealership guy FINALLY returned my call to say they still have not looked at my car but he had one of his cars now so to come by and make the switch.
So here we are to Sunday afternoon, I am now driving a Prius (it is weird to get used to), and a part will be coming in on Monday or Tuesday that may or may not fix the problem. I think the darlings that took care of my car last time, didn't tighten a cap properly, it blew, the engine lost pressure, and now my car doesn't work. Who knows, maybe Toyota will be buying me a new car when all is said and done, but probably not.

4 comments:

mindi said...

i have two thoughts while reading this. first of all, when i was working in phoenix one day one of my technicians called on her way home from work, in tears, and frankly quite hysterical because the check engine light had just come on. her car was behaving just perfectly but the mere presence of the said light completely freaked her out. i told her to pull over while i talked her through it and i told her to think of the light as more of a suggestion than a command. perhaps she had heard a nightmare story like yours. second. wow. enterprise really WILL pick you up, eh? oh yeah, and i'm sorry to hear about your car trouble. good story though!

Maggs said...

sounds like your weekend was about as good as mine pal. I'll have to call you to tell you about it. Glad that everyone made it home safely in the end. SOrry about the car though...what a bummer.

Nikki Nelson said...

Oh my! I wish I'd gotten on to check blogs sooner this week, now that I've read yours. You need to go in there, and fight them for whatever it is that you feel is right. I hope your car is still in the shop, so this isn't too late. But if it was just in, they should've recognized the problem. If it seems that your suspisions are right, and a 'darling' didn't tighten the cap on good enough... then FIGHT IT OUT WITH THEM. It's so expensive to get cars fixed and all.
I'm telling you this because, when Dallas and I bought our Used '04 Honda at the end of '04. We had it for a week (barely), and it died on us in the middle of nowhere @ 11:45 pm! Yeah, that made me so mad, that I made sure Dallas understood that we weren't leaving the dealership with that car. We were leaving with a brand new car, for the same price. And it took us about 2 hours before we finally got our way. I wouldn't have fought for it, if I didn't feel like it was the way to make things right. So good luck, and as they say in the Godfather....'Go to the matresses'... and win!
-Nikki

lmhiserman said...

hey queen that had to be the worst day of life!!! love william